NHC Refurbishment Project
What started, as a simple desire to modernise our rather tired and dated communal hall and to provide specially adapted facilities for disabled visitors, has in the last few months, become a significantly larger and more costly project. “Visions of a Jewish Community & Heritage Centre for Norwich”
Our President, Marian Prinsley and Treasurer, Nick Simons have found immense enthusiasm to provide Norwich Hebrew Congregation not only with a modern, attractive and inviting communal hall but also a flexible building space for education of both Jewish and non Jewish children and adults. Within the project we seek to provide a library and exhibition space with the idea of having a permanent exhibition for Jewish heritage, the History of Jewish Norwich and about our current Congregation which was formed in 1848. Changeable displays will reflect our various Festivals, holidays and other special events. We are essentially seeking to secure the future of Jewish heritage in Norwich and Norfolk for future generations.
We also aim to upgrade the front entrance, improve security and disabled access as well as install better and more efficient heating and lighting systems.
To date we have had plans drawn up and sent these to a Chartered Quantity Surveyor to provide us with a budget costing. Phase 1 of our project will cost an estimated £385,000 with a further £127,000 needed for completion of Phase 2.
Phase 1 objective of mostly essential works:
- The modernisation of our main entrance ensuring suitability for disabled access and the meeting of stringent security requirements
- Rebuilding of our toilets ensuring disabled and baby changing facilities
- Bring the heating and lighting systems up to date for both better efficiency and cost effectiveness
- Update our kitchen facility
- Install a hearing loop system
- Install a security alarm and updated CCTV
Phase 2 Objectives:
- To install a number of vitrines (display cases) for displays of Jewish Heritage and Judaica.
- To develop a book about the history of Jewish Norwich and also to plan a walk taking in areas of historical interest and to ensure that these areas are accurately signposted.
- Refurbish the synagogue, including
- Bring the heating systems up to date for both better efficiency and cost effectiveness
- New carpets, seating and decoration
- Extend and refurbish the car park
For up to date news of our refurbishment project please click here
To support the refurbishment project, click here to donate online.